Seriously, flammkuchen is amazing. The traditional bacon and caramelized onions requires some time, but it’s worth it – I guarantee it. Since the crust doesn’t require a leavening period, it’s super fast to make and allows for crazy variations (of the sweet and the savory type). one of my favorites is simply crème fraîche, pickled jalapeños, covered with an enormous amount of mozzarella cheese.
- 2 cups (250g) AP flour
- 1 cup (125 mL) water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt
- crème fraîche
- white or yellow onions
- black pepper
- Sheet tray or a pizza pan
- Rolling pin
- Mixing bowl
- Microplane (if your nutmeg is not ground)
- Begin by crisping your bacon – but not too much since it will go into a very hot oven.
- While your bacon is browning, begin slicing your onions, medium thickness.
- Once your bacon has crisped, remove it and most of the grease.
- Caramelize your onions by placing them into the pan with some grease, between low and medium heat. This will take some time. The key is low and slow. Otherwise you end up with what looks like burnt worms.
- While the onions are caramelizing, preheat your oven top 500 degrees F / 260 degrees C.
- Add the flour, water, salt, and olive oil into a bowl. Mix the ingredients until it becomes a well mixed ball of dough.
- Throw the ball of dough onto a surface and begin kneading it until it becomes smooth. This should take about two-four minutes.
- Watch your onions – you don’t want them to burn!
- Once it has been kneaded, use the rolling device of your choice to roll it out. Traditionally, flammkuchen is rolled into an oval or square – I prefer the standard pizza style of… a circle. Roll it thin – this is essentially a thin crust pizza. Then place it onto your pizza pan or, if using a sheet tray, flip the tray so it is bottom side up and place the dough onto the top. Set aside.
- Chop your bacon into little pieces.
- In a separate bowl, mix some crème fraîche with lots of black pepper and some nutmeg. No need for measurements – do it by taste to your liking.
- Spread your crème fraîche mixture onto the dough – as little or as much as you would like.
- Add your bacon pieces to the top of the pizza, then add your caramelized onions.
- Once it looks good to you, throw it into the piping hot oven for 13-15 minutes. It will get slightly burnt around the edges.
- Remove the flammkuchen, cut, and enjoy the awesomeness!