- 2 pastry sheets (usually comes in packs of 2 in a box)
- 6 oz guava paste
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the sheets from the freezer and let sit on the counter for 5 minutes. Then cut the sheets in such a way that you will end up with 12 total rectangles. If the sheets are wrapped, cut them down the middle crosswise and allow them to thaw before prying them open to cut lengthwise. It's best to cut the sheets while they are still mostly frozen in order to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Cut six 1/4" slices of the guava paste and set aside.
- Line a half-baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Evenly spread out 6 of the pastry dough rectangles so they are not touching each other. If your baking sheet is smaller, you may have to bake a second batch.
- Place a slice of guava paste in the middle of each pastry dough rectangle.
- Cut 1 oz pieces of cream cheese and place on top of each guava slice.
- Place the remaining pastry dough rectangles atop each pastry. If the dough is still stiff from the freezer, let it thaw out on top of the pastry until it folds down around the sides of the cream cheese
- Wet your finger with some water and run it along the outside edge of the bottom pastry dough rectangle. Then, press the top rectangle onto the bottom piece to create a seal around the outer edge. It just needs to pinch all around - it doesn't require extreme pressure. Don't worry if it doesn't look good, it will look great once it's cooked!
- Using a knife, cut 1-2 slits into the top of each pastry. This will prevent them from bursting and oozing out all their deliciousness!
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk with a tbsp of water to make an egg wash. Mix well.
- Using a brush, coat every pastry to produce a nice golden color. Make sure to brush the egg wash onto every nook and cranny as this is what yields a nice crispy, flaky pastry as well as that beautiful golden color.
- Place into the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Do NOT skip this step. As delicious as they will look and smell, the guava is extremely hot and likely to burn if consumed.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Let them cool for at least 10 minutes or it will burn you! The guava is lava!
- You want the cream cheese to be cold - not frozen and not room temperature. This will be the easiest way to handle it.