Carrot cake – not quite cake, not quite carrots, however, better than the sum of its parts! This recipe will fulfill your desires of carrot cake while on a low carb/keto diet. If you want to be fancy, you can decorate it with frosting in the color and the shape of a carrot on top, but I don’t have those skills. Checkout out this delicious recipe and let me know how it turns out for you down below. Also, you can substitute pecans for the walnuts for an equally delicious carrot cake
- 300g carrots
- 50g unsweetened shredded coconut
- 50g walnuts
- 150g almond flour
- 5 large eggs
- 200g unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 4-6 tbsp erythitrol (6 is perfect, use less if you don't want it sweet)
- 1 tsp whiskey (optional)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½-1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Peel the skin from the carrots. Then shred half and grate the other half, set aside.
- Rough chop the walnuts and set aside.
- In the mixing bowl (or a bowl if you don’t have a stand mixer), add the eggs, artificial sweetener, vanilla extract, and the optional whiskey. Using the paddle attachment (or a hand mixer), mix the ingredients
untill well combined. It will be runnny.
- Add the coconut and continue mixing until combined.
- Slowly add the almond flour into the mixture, this will begin to thicken the batter. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure the batter is well mixed.
- Add the carrots and continue mixing.
- Once the carrots are well incorporated, will continuing to mix, add the baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Once it is mixed well, remove the batter from the mixture and set aside.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper so that it fits the bread pan lengthwise, buit has 2 inches overhang on either end (these will serve as handles).
- Grease the bread pan with some butter, using your fingers to make sure it is well greased in all the corners. Then, place the parchment paper inside.
- Pour the batter into the bread pan and place into the oven for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Add the cream cheese, butter, sweetener, vanilla extract, and salt into the mixing bowl.
- Mix until well combined and fluffy. Make sure to stop and scrape the sides so there remains no chunks of cream cheese stuck to the bottom of the bowl.
- Taste the frosting and adjust accordingly by adding more sweetener if needed.
- Remove from the mixer and place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Frosting the Carrot Cake
- Remove the frosting from the fridge and let warm up for 5 minutes.
- Ensure the carrot cake is completely cooled. Remove it by scraping the sides of the bread pan with a knife. Using the parchment paper, hold the side and pull it out and onto a plate.
- Remove the parchment paper from underneath the cake and discard.
- Mix the frosting to ensure an even conistency and temperature.
- Spread the frosting onto the carrot cake and do your best to make it look good.
OPTIONAL: Crush some walnuts or pecans and sprinkle across the top and the sides. This will help cover up your shotty frosting skills and add some additional crunch to the cake.
TIP: Here’s a bonus tip: try it with some lemon lime Gatorade (if you dont care about the sugar content). It’s magical.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at NO cost to you! This helps keep the lights on, the site running, and the videos coming!
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 352Total Fat 33.2gCarbohydrates 7.6gNet Carbohydrates 4.6gFiber 3gProtein 7.4g