If you’ve ever been in the cold and happened to take a sip of mulled wine, you know how it warmed your insides and out. And if you haven’t experienced that, then surely you’ve seen the characters on Game of Thrones experience it! Mulled wine is the sangria of cold weather – and for good reason (psst, it’s delicious!)
- 1500 mL of Cabernet Sauvignon (2 standard wine bottles)
- 3 cups (710 mL) of no-pulp orange juice
- 1/4 (60 mL) cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp (7g) ground cinnamon
- three 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes of fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp (50g) sugar
- 1 tbsp ground nutmeg
- 1 orange
- 20 cloves
- Pot large enough to fit two bottles of wine
- Stirring spoon
- Ladle to serve
- Add the two bottles of wine to the pot.
- Add the orange juice, lime juice, cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, honey, and cognac/bourbon to the wine. Give it a stir!
- Cut and peel the ginger into three 1-inch cubes and add it to the pot.
- Cut the orange in half and add insert 10 clovers per half. Insert the cloves bud side out into the rind, this will help maintain the cloves submerged. Add to the pot.
- Bring the mixture up to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to just below a simmer and let sit for 45 minutes. Stir as it heats to ensure that the ingredients are well mixed and nothing is sticking to the bottom.
- Taste as it heats and add any additional ingredients or amounts to your liking.
- Serve hot and enjoy!